home about favourites also here contact

the lake // two

8.27.2011

"Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time."

While reading in the hammock one late afternoon, I came across this quote. To say that it 'seemed fitting' would be a vast understatement. It absolutely epitomized this last trip to the lake. 





Tucked amid this beauty that is the lake, are some of my very favourite spots. Some recently discovered, others that bring back sweet childhood memories. The ice cream parlour, for example. I can still imagine tiny Abbey & Chloe with their noses pressed up against the glass, drooling over the abundance of flavours. 


And then there are the shoppes. This time around, I had such fun picking out little no-reason gifts for sweet people. Our two favourites shoppes may have only been here a few years, but you could say we've become Summer 'regulars'. The antique book/gift/coffee shop? I would like to live there, please. And, the indie-inspired clothing shoppe makes my handmade-loving heart flutter. 


And then there's the lake itself. We've spent countless hours in that frigid, yet refreshing water - whether it be a kayaking adventure, or just a good read on the dock.





I can't even begin to tell you how much I'll miss the lake. But knowing that I'll return next Summer puts a smile on my face. 




Are you visiting some place special before the end of Summer? 

xo,

Abbey

ps. thank-you to Carlotta, for the incredibly lovely guest post. :)

27 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're back! This makes me miss my lake in California. But -- beautiful. I love that third picture, with all the chairs. So summery. My summer is over, though the heat lingers on. *sigh* Anyway, it's good to see you had a nice time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are stunning. Wow! This is a BEAUTIFUL post.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos, Abbey! Sounds (and looks) so nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such gorgeous pictures, I feel so peaceful just looking at them! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it looks like you just had a fabulous time! Lakes are such peaceful places to be, especially resting on a dock and listening to the sound of the water. We always go to the beach at the beginning of the Summer and l-o-v-e it! Vacations are such blessings.

    Oh my goodness, not only do your photos remind me a lot Carlotta's, but your writing style does too! Are you guys secretly twins?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had an amazing time there! It's so beautiful! Love those gorgeous pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this post made me seem as if I was there.
    that last picture is oh so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just discovered your wonderful blog (via the ever-love carlotta :) and I'm blown away by your wonderful photography and writing talent.
    Keep it up!
    ~Simi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abbey! I'm so glad you're back! I missed you. And the lake...you must take me there one day, yes? It's too stunning for words. Seriously, I've looked at every single photo three times in this post. And that quote (as well as your new shirt)...lovelovelove. I'm sorry, I'm just having a big old gush fest over here by myself...but I can't help it!

    twin sister.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i seriously love that quote. and that shirt!!! so glad that you're back :)

    http://breatheandhush.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. such pretty pictures! Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning photos! I LOVELOVELOVE them. Seriously. You are such an amazing photographer!

    I think I'm falling in love with your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. GORGEOUS pictures, loved the first one! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely images and what a sweet summer vacation you must have had.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. Beautiful photography i must say. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it!! I especially like the photo of your toes and that camera shirt. Glad you had a great time!
    And am I doing something special this summer? I am doing it right now! I'm in LA with my aunt, uncle, and cousin. It's a great time :))
    -Jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such beautiful pictures! And one day, I will have to visit that lake. It sounds like absolute heaven on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  18. *faints* Your pictures are seriously too beautiful. Before I started reading your post, I sighed and prepared myself for an overdose on amazing-ness. Your writing and photography -- is perfect.
    That last picture is my favourite -- it was the perfect end to a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great pictures-the lake is gorgeous! :-) The shops sound too cute. I just love small-town shopping!

    KyAnn
    bloommagazine.net

    ReplyDelete
  20. These photos put a smile on my face. I love the new layout as well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love all the pictures, Abbey! Everything looks like so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Adore those pictures! I looks so beautiful there...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sigh these photos make me miss the lake I went to this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love each and every one of these photos! seriously, beautiful. correction, your blog and all your photographs are lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete